Bay and bow windows are combination windows that form a projecting shape that sets them apart from other window styles. In this blog post, Renewal by Andersen® of Central Pennsylvania discusses five reasons why you’ll love them in your home.
1. More natural light. Bay and bow windows have greater surface areas than other types of windows, which equates to more glass, and therefore more natural light. Natural lighting does more than just make your home brighter: regular exposure to it can help regulate your sleep cycles and promote healthy amounts of sleep.
2. Improved ventilation. Because they extend outwards, bay and bow windows can catch a side breeze, or wind that blows perpendicular to the exterior walls. Opening two of its operable sashes — one vents stale indoor air while the other takes in fresh air — can provide ample ventilation and flush out indoor air pollutants.
3. Increased space. The projecting spaces under bay and bow windows can extend the living areas in your home without changing the floor plan, and can be used as extra seating or a display space. The floor area can be extended to accommodate storage space or a table. A popular example of the latter is a banquette in a traditional kitchen.
4. Aesthetic appeal. Bay and bow windows can dramatically increase the visual volume of a building, making the exteriors look bigger even when the floor area is the same. On most home styles, this can result in a boost in the house’s curb appeal, as well as its value.
5. Custom look. Bay and bow windows are essentially combination windows, which means they can be made to consist of different window styles. While bay windows typically consist of three or four windows forming a trapezoidal shape, it is possible to have them made with a rectangular shape, which is perfectly suitable for modern home styles.
Working with a custom window builder like Renewal by Andersen of Central Pennsylvania can help you get the bay or bow windows that perfectly fit your home in York, PA. Give us a call today at (717) 591-4900 or fill out our contact form to get started.