Have your utility bills been skyrocketing for no discernible reason? Are you noticing drafts in rooms that seem to be worsening each year? Are there small cracks or nicks in your windowpanes? These are all strong indicators that it’s time to consider calling a Mechanicsburg window replacement company.
Ignoring windows that aren’t performing up to par is only an option for a short amount of time. Eventually, those windows will start to become problematic and cost you money over the long haul. If you’re asking yourself “When do I need to replace my windows?”, why not start by considering these signals:
- Your furnace has to work harder to heat the house. Most likely, the issue isn’t your furnace if you’ve kept it well-maintained. If your furnace is struggling to keep your home at a constant temperature, you probably have leaks somewhere in your living spaces. Older windows are often the culprits, so by replacing them, you’ll be protecting the life of your furnace as well as spending less each season to heat and cool your residence.
- You feel a noticeable drop in temperature when you walk by your windows. If you have older models of windows, they’re probably not well-equipped to lock the warmth into your room. Instead, they’re slowly sucking the hotter air into the outdoors. Therefore, when you walk or sit by the window, you feel a chill. Newer windows constructed using high-tech materials won’t perform that way.
- Your windows don’t seem to fit snugly into the walls. Older homes are known to settle, and during all the settling, the windows may begin to shift slightly. Eventually, they aren’t fitting as tightly as they once did. This can cause great stress on the windows themselves, causing cracks to appear in the glass. An improper fit can also be a source of heat leakage.
- Your windows have a wavy appearance. Has the glass in your windows begun to buckle or take on a wavy look? This is a sign that they were made using antiquated methods. While they may seem pretty from an aesthetic standpoint, they aren’t recommended for homeowners who are serious about protecting their residences and saving money. If you want to keep older window panes for their historic beauty, you can always hang them on the interior walls in lieu of photos or mirrors as centerpieces.
- Your windows cannot be cleaned. Are you unable to clean your windows to a shine? Newer windows will bring back the luster to all your windows from the inside and the outside. Plus, many replacement window options have ultraviolet protection to keep your carpets and furniture from prematurely fading.
If you’ve decided that you’ve had it with your current windows, discover the benefits new windows can provide!