After a long, cold winter, the warm temperatures and sunshine are a welcome sight. But when you open your windows to let in the spring breeze, you might get more dirt and grime than you bargained for.
If you’ve let months of fingerprints and dust build up on the inside and outside of your panes, you might be dreading cleaning your double hung windows. But our renewal by Andersen replacement windows allow you to do all the dirty work from inside.
How Our Double Hung Windows Work
RBA’s double hung windows are one of our most popular products. The windows have separate sashes and tracks, so the top and bottom halves can open independently of each other. While they look great, are energy efficient and keep your home secure, double hung windows are also easy to clean.
Double hung windows tilt in, which means you can access both sides of the glass without climbing a rickety ladder. It’s easy to clean them in 10 easy steps!
- Unlock the window.
- Raise the bottom sash up slightly.
- Pull down the clips at the top of the window track until they click.
- Tilt the window and wash it, using Windex or a homemade cleaner of white vinegar and dish detergent. Dry using paper towel or newspaper for a streak-free shine.
- Lay the clean down all the way to the sill, and push clips back up to the top.
- Lower the top sash slightly, and push its inside clips toward the center of the window to release it.
- Pull the window down and tilt it out for cleaning.
- Push the top sash closed. Pull down slightly until it clicks before pushing back up.
- Push bottom sash back in and pull down slowly until it clicks.
- Close the bottom sash the rest of the way and lock your window.
You can watch a step-by-step video here.