Many of us would love to make our home more eco-friendly, but we’re just not sure how to begin. Plus, an eco-friendly house often comes with the reputation of expensive bills. While it’s true that you can break a budget if you radically overhaul your home, you certainly don’t have to spend more dollars than you’re comfortable spending.
In fact, there are several easy and cost-effective techniques to live your daily life in an environmentally conscious way:
1. Use green cleaning products. It’s springtime, so what better time of year to switch all your cleaning products to greener ones? You can buy products at the store, or even make your own out of surprisingly cheap ingredients. You’ll feel much better when you know that you’re not sending toxic materials down the drain.
2. Cut down on your waste. There are many methods to cut down on waste. Instead of simply throwing all waste products into the garbage so they wind up in the landfill, start sorting your trash and see whether anything can be recycled or even composted. This will reduce the waste you’re producing as a household and help the environment flourish.
3. Start walking or riding your bike when possible. Have to make a trip down the street? Rather than jumping in your car, ride your bike or use the opportunity to exercise your legs. You’ll save money on gas over time, and you’ll be doing something good for both you AND the environment.
4. Replace your inefficient windows with newer window models. Replacement home windows can dramatically cut down on your energy bills, which means you’re using up far less fuel every season to heat or cool your home.
5. Buy recycled products when available. When you have the chance to buy an item that’s made from recycled products, consider it a viable option compared to buying a product that has been made from non-green materials. This can include everything from furniture to napkins to books.
6. Visit antique stores, second-hand shops, yard sales and auctions. Why not give an old treasure new life? If you want to redecorate this year, see how many things you can find that have been discarded by others. You may just discover treasures waiting for you that have more character and charm than anything you could buy at a big box retailer.
As you start to focus on becoming more eco-friendly in your everyday habits, remind yourself that any change you make will help. You don’t have to radically transform your lifestyle in order to have a positive impact. Simple steps are the perfect beginning to a greener home and healthier lifestyle!